Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Review & Interview with Dee Tenorio

Tempting the Enemy
Author: Dee Tenorio
Kindle Edition
File Size: 400 KB
Publisher: Carina Press
Realease: June 14, 2010
Available for the Kindle here.

Summary: Detective Pale Rysen, an Alpha, is determined to secretly rebuild the Wolf packs from the ashes of genocide. When a killer starts picking off young females looking for sanctuary, it's his job to protect them. Forced to work with a hated enemy, he fears his cover will be blown.

Jade-Scarlet's membership in the powerful Order of the Sibile has always been controversial. A half-wolf, Jade's unstable psychic powers are a disappointment to her mercenary handlers. So when the Oracle commands her to work with Pale, Jade must prove herself...even if it means challenging the enigmatic shifter.

I asked to review Tempting the Enemy and received a digital copy from the publisher. Dee Tenorio has created a world where shifters were hunted and murdered at one time, and still hide to protect their families. The Order of the Sibile are magic mercenaries with no mercy. Betrayal on any level usually means death. The society as a whole is full of political unrest and fear, which can only lead to rebellion and death. Pale and Jade must work together within the confines of her order and the law. This would be tough enough without shifter hormones wreaking havoc on both of them.

The author has given us a brooding, alpha shifter with the heart of a protector. He's an intelligent, strong leader that only held a slim hope of meeting a mate who could also be his partner. Jade is everything he doesn't want in a mate, yet he can't seem to stop following his instincts. Jade is a fascinating character that I loved from the beginning. She's been living a sheltered life with her order and has no experience in the real world. Her roommate Sage has been her only source of information when it comes to men, and life. I loved how her character had to learn about the world around her and her own strengths at the same time. While a part of her is withdrawn and shy, another part of her is driven to do what is right, regardless of pressure to do what she is told to do. Jade gives the reader some fun, light moments as she discovers things for the first time, such as hot chocolate and desire.

Tempting the Enemy is a fast paced paranormal romance with elements of urban fantasy and suspense. I loved the complex plot that kept me guessing the entire time. The romance between Jade and Pale starts out passionate but reluctant. As the book goes on, the author reaches into the reader's chest and rips their heart out. Thank goodness she gives us closure, or I would have been forced to smash my Kindle. Tempting the Enemy seriously has one of the most emotional, kick butt endings I have ever encountered.

If you enjoy paranormal romance, thrillers or urban fantasy you will want to read Tempting the Enemy.


INTERVIEW WITH DEE TENORIO

I emailed Dee with my questions as soon as I finished her book. I was hoping she'd have time allow me to pick her brain. She graciously returned her answers immediately, so I could share them with you.

Since I loved the book and the world so much, my first question has to be about its continuation. Do you think there will be more books to continue the story?

I'm really hoping so. I have several more stories to tell in the world of Resurrection and I'm currently working on what I hope to be the next installment. :) So keep your fingers crossed!

I noticed that you have written many other books, but none seem to be in this genre. What made you create such a unique world with such complex characters in the paranormal realm?
Well, I'm a mad fan of paranormal romances and I so wished I could write one. LOL, wishes really can come true. But the other truth is simply that the story came along and I couldn't say no. Really, I tried. I was afraid I'd get started and not be able to stop or that people would think it was dumb...but I simply couldn't stop. And I'm so happy I didn't.

Do you enjoy surprising your readers with twists and turns in the plot? How do you keep track of the details without letting too many hints slip before you want them to?

LOL, well, every author loves finding out that a reader is intrigued by the plot. I have to admit, my own process is like writing down the movie I see in my head. But I can't see the movie until I figure out the next step. So, for the plot, the details just stay in my head. For the little things, like who is who and what their eye colors are, lol, I make notes, to keep for reference. It's getting REALLY big now, though.

I read your bio and noticed you are a mom. How long have you been writing, and how the heck do you manage to do it with kids?

I'm totally a mom. :) I pretty much steal every word I can while babies climb on me or play at my feet or poke me in the eye. I play music to tune out "Blues Clues" and "Fresh Beats" and listen with one ear to it. :) And on those really special days, my awesome husband takes the kids out to buy me a few hours. If I get really desperate, I bribe my sister to visit for a few days to keep an eye on the troops while I go on a marathon. :) It's not easy, but it's totally worth it when a story comes together.

What the craziest thing you've done to a character (or made them do) in one of your books?

Hmmm, well that's a hard one. I've done some pretty crazy things to my characters. But I have to say, the craziest thing I've tried is a scene from the next book where in which Pale and Jade from "Tempting The Enemy" are sparring, lol. It's been cut, alas, but let's put it this way. Pale and Jade, sweaty and grappling. You can probably guess which one of them ends up thrown into a tree... LOL! (I'm really going to have to find a way to get that scene back into a story!)

For this current book, well, the crazy part is going to be getting the rough and tumble Tate through his story alive. :)

I loved Tempting the Enemy, and look forward to reading your other books. Thank you for taking the time to chat:)

Thanks much, Brenda, I had a great time with your questions!

To find out more about Dee's books visit her at her website: http://www.deetenorio.com/

~Brenda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I have been wanting to read this book.

hendy said...

I've read this book so thanks for asking if there will be another one, I sure hope so. Interesting to know that this was her first dive into paranormal romance, she's a natural

Anonymous said...

I am looking for a paranormal romance to read in between studying for my GRE. I will def try this one.