Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Time Travel Romance Review

Flirting with Forever
Author: Gwyn Cready
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Authors Website
Available at: Indie Bound, Powells, Barnes & Noble

SUMMARY: Art historian Cam Stratford is about to make a name for herself with her sexy tell-all "fictographies" of 17th century painters, but she's more familiar with her subjects than her readers can imagine. Thanks to a time portal she's discovered, she has caused quite a stir in the Great Beyond. To protect their members' reputations, the Guild representing dead artists convinces playboy Sir Peter Lely, portraitist to Charles II and a man with his own dark secrets, to sabotage Cam's project. A few hours posing on Peter's modeling chaise lead to a night of seductive passion--then Cam returns home and discovers his betrayal. But before she can turn her angry pen on her lover, Peter makes a surprise visit, transforming Cam's 21st century life into chaos of classic proportion.

I accepted a copy of Flirting with Forever from the publisher because I wanted to give time travel romance a chance. The paranormal romance books I usually read tend to have killing, and possibly maiming, as part of the plot, so this was a switch for me. During the first part of the book I felt as if I was getting to know the characters and the author's writing at the same time. It was as if I was rolling around the words in my mind, like you would a new wine, swishing and tasting. By the time I was halfway through the book I realized I DID care about the two main characters. I wanted them to be happy, and together. I liked Cam, the main female character from the start because she's smart and witty, but not snobbish or full of herself as some people within the art world tend to be. It took me longer to warm up to Peter, the male lead character. Actually, it wasn't until he time traveled to present day that I really saw what kind of man he was. I loved the way he looked at our modern society as compared to the 1600's.

Flirting with Forever is a fun, romantic read, but at the same time it really has a fascinating look at the differences between modern artists and historic painters, including techniques and attitudes. The author wove these ideas throughout the book so it didn't take away from the plot, but added to it's charm.

There are also lessons in human nature that involve family, love, and seeing the whole truth, not just what is perceived on the surface. There are two very steamy, and erotic scenes in Flirting With Forever that had me holding my breath. Each was very different from the other and the author had my undivided attention both times.

The time travel aspect of the story was fascinating, as well as humorous in many instances. Flirting With Forever is a mix of historic and contemporary romance. I think fans of either genre will enjoy this book.

AUTHOR'S FABULOUS SHOE CONTEST
Win a pair of designer Michael Kors shoes ($165 value*) in the Flirting with Forever launch contest! Ends 4/11/1010 Details of the contest are here: http://www.cready.com/shoes_contest.php

~Moonsanity

1 comment:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Lovely review! I really liked her last book, Seducing Mr. Darcy (it's on my keeper shelf), and want to read this one - it looks great!