Thursday, October 10, 2013

Time Management as a Grandmother....

I have none-time management, that is.  None at all.  I am learning, but it's hard.  My son and his girlfriend went through nine months of emotional turmoil, angst and the fear of the unknown after finding out she was pregnant.  When the day finally came, they rallied together and supported each other like I knew they could and Jace was born.  It was love at first sight for everyone in his life, and believe me, the waiting room was filled with his fans and his support system.  




My journey as a grandmother has been completely different than the one I had as a mother. I was over 30 when I had my first baby, and 39 when I had my youngest.  Jace's parents are 20 years old, and still figuring out life.  Since last summer when we found out we were going to be grandparents, my husband and I have been constantly reminding ourselves what we felt like at 20-- before we knew each other, when we were struggling with figuring out who we were and what we wanted out of life. 

I'm 53 now, and I've had three pregnancies and two miscarriages, so I've been there and done that, as the saying goes.  I loved being pregnant and remember going through that period of sadness when I realized that time in my life was past. Becoming a grandmother is an experience so different from becoming a mother.  It's my baby, having a baby.  It's my chance to help him, and Jace's mom, to learn how to be good parents.  Notice the word "help".  It doesn't mean I do it for them, or make decisions they should be making.  Help means encouraging them to learn and to "do" on their own. This isn't always easy, but we've been doing well.  

This is Jace today at 7 months old:




I watch Jace while his parents are at work and I'm having a hard time resisting him when I should be writing. He holds up a book, and off I go.... and yes, he loves books.  Our favorite right now is MOO, BAA, LA LA LA!  It's a Sandra Boynton story.  I have one more of hers, and I'm collecting the rest of her picture books as well.  My daughter is 13 now, and we both love her books.  It's so cool sharing books with Jace that his dad, my other son and my daughter, loved when they were small.

Besides cuddling with Jace, I've been writing freelance home and garden articles plus editing a group of gardening ebooks, which has taken much of my computer time. I try to keep up on Goodreads with reviews, but I do have a bit of catching up from last month.  I've been on a Kristen Ashley marathon lately since her books are reading crack. 

~Brenda


1 comment:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Aww, congrats on being a grandma. He's adorable! Enjoy your time with them.